Well hello there tumblr people! (Tumblrs? Tumblings? Tumtums? *shrug*)
So after skipping “tweeting” I’ve decided to once again force myself to get with the times and set up a tumblr for however long its going to be looked at, and use it as a place to show my work, thoughts, recordings, and rantings in front of you, the internet, and the heavens themselves.
For those of you who have stumbled (stumbled? tumblr? God I am a BEACON OF WIT!) upon this humble pseudo-blog with no knowledge of who I am or what I do, my online moniker is Zyggy567 (Sometimes Zyggy for short), and I am a young adult male living my way through life by pursuing my dual dreams of making video games and becoming a professional voice actor!
So far I’m making semi-good progress with both, being one year away from a video games major/electronic arts minor at my college, and having gotten my voice in some flash animations floating around the internet, as well as a few professional voiceover works such as museum recordings and audiobooks for blind people. Still a long way to go though, so I’m always looking for more work. If you have a voice role for your animation, film, game, or what have you, I’m always willing to audition and perform my best if able, so feel free to message me.
With that little plug out of the way, I suppose I’ll take this time to talk about the things I’m enjoying these days so you can get a closer glimpse into the puddle of spilled ginger ale that is me. They are, in no particular order:
1. Video Games. Been loving them since I was 5, so why stop now? No particular genre of games I won’t play and dislike, though survival horror/psychological games like silent hill and amnesia creep me way the hell out (so mission accomplished I guess,) and non-cartoony sports games I won’t go out of my way to play unless a friend wants to. My favorite genre is platformers. (I still consider Banjo-Tooie to be one of the greatest games of all time.) Currently I’m stuck in a big League of Legends kick, which is simultaneously frustrating and so fun I can’t stop, terrible community or no. Also Skyrim has no depth and does nothing to keep you motivated and any game that requires fanmods to make it fun has something SERIOUSLY WRONG WITH IT so go play Fallout instead because its a much better universe with better humor and keeps you much more invested and any glitches it has are usually minor.
2. Cartoons. Anyone who has had any extended conversations with me knows it will inevitably lead to talking about cartoons that were on between the years of 1985 and 2005. I love the majority of the works of old-school Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon, Disney Afternon, Kids WB and Fox Kids, and still re-watch the majority of them today. No particular favorites, though the works of Genndy Tartakovsky, Craig McCracken and the DCAU are the ones that spring to mind most. Currently on TV cartoons are somewhat slim pickings after the nightmarish wave of nothing but live action kids programming, but seems to be on the road to recovery. I’m quite liking Adventure Time and The Amazing World of Gumball, but hope to see more great shows in the future. Also, yes, I watch the new My Little Pony. Its character driven and wonderfully animated with flash and has a fantastic VA cast and is fun to watch for both kids and adults so DEAL WITH IT. Moving on.
3. Anime/Manga. Not much to say about this one. As a kid I liked it for its action, humor, good plots and characters, and as an a adult I like it for…its more adult action, humor, good plots and characters. My palette has evolved to include more mind-trippy and psychological works like Higurashi, Mirai Nikki, Elfen Lied and half the products of Gainax, but I still love the fun-loving, bizarre and action-oriented shows like One Piece, Bobobo, Toriko and the other half of the products of Gainax. Tell me about some manga or anime and I’ll probably read/watch at least a little of it, and continue to do so if I enjoy it.
4. (Web)Comics. Graphic Novels. DC and Marvel, and about 70+ webcomics taking up space on my bookmarks bar, even if some of them have been over for years. I’ve been told that I have weird standards for comics, as evidenced by that aforementioned list which contains things most people will both love and hate, with no comprehension as to how I can like both. So I have varied standards for different genres and in the end am just looking to be entertained. C’est la vie. Moving back to comic books, my favorite hero is Iron Man, my favorite villain the Joker, and I believe Marvel makes better comics while DC makes better animated works. Currently my favorite comic though is All-Star Superman, so there go those varied standards again. Whoops!
5. Voice Acting. If you’ve actually read through everything I’ve said up until now, you probably saw this coming. I’m a big fan of acting in general of course, but seeing as how much I enjoy voiceover work in particular, it makes sense I’d give it a separate category. Not much to say again, I know of the majority of the big names in the business and have even talked with a few of them (all really cool folks,) and incredibly respect and admire them. My favorite is Crispin Freeman. (That man can do anything and make it sound badass!) I’ll probably end up making a few posts regarding my personal “Top 5 Roles” that a lot of them have done. Something for a later time though.
6. Writing/Music. I enjoy reading/listening, and I enjoy writing/composing. Whether you folks will see my work up here I haven’t decided yet. Likewise toward my current likes/dislikes in the current music climate or authors, as well as what writing techniques I enjoy, employ and avoid, as those are a bit more intellectual opinions and would take up considerably more space on this post than the others, so I’ll leave it be for now. For the moment I’ll say when it comes to purely track record and years listened, I’ve enjoyed Third Wave Ska the most, as well as Queen, because its FRIGGIN QUEEN!
Are you still reading this!? Wow, you must either be really interested in me or are having a really slow day. In either case, I’m grateful for the attention. I hope you enjoyed learning a bit about me and I’ll try my best to make these posts less drawn out or more interesting in the future, so until then, take care my future loyal reader!